Table of Contents
Developer meeting: March 1, 2011
- 09:00:00 a.m. Tuesday March 1, 2011 in America/Los_Angeles
- 12:00:00 p.m. Tuesday March 1, 2011 in Canada/Eastern
- 04:00:00 p.m. Tuesday March 1, 2011 in UTC
Last meeting: 2011-02-08
Logs and minutes
- Minutes will be supplied in this document after the meeting finishes
Prior to the meeting
- Please fill out Who's who if you want to be identified more readily in the future
- Determine the taker of minutes: Ben Shum
- Determine meeting leader: Dan Scott
Problem was observed with entering / retrieving patron names containing Unicode in Evergreen 2.0 on OpenSRF 1.6. Dan found a fix for the problem in OpenSRF 2.0 but there's a different problem with OpenSRF 1.6, thus a release candidate of 2.0.0 has been released.
- Determine why Unicode patron name entry / retrieval worked with previous versions of OpenSRF but is broken in current version
- Test OpenSRF 2.0.0 for stability and potential adoption
ACTION ITEM: Test OpenSRF 2.0.0 with Evergreen 2.0.2 for stability and potential adoption: Ben Shum (tbd), Jason Etheridge (acq.open-ils.org), Bill Erickson (dev.gapines.org)
PostgreSQL 9.0 support
Bug 725809 reports a problem upgrading from Evergreen 1.6 to 2.0 on a PostgreSQL 9.0 server.
Given that we largely didn't test or develop the Evergreen 2.0 upgrade script on PostgreSQL 9.0, are we supporting it for Evergreen 2.0?
If we do want to support PostgreSQL 9.0 for Evergreen 2.0, then does the path for support become running the 1.6-2.0.X script, where "X" is the iteration where all of the PostgreSQL 9.0 kinks are worked out?
If we don't want to support PostgreSQL 9.0 for Evergreen 2.0, then does the migration path from 1.6 to 2.1 become:
- Upgrade database to 8.4 and upgrade EG 1.6 to 2.0
- Upgrade database to 9.0 and upgrade EG 2.0 to 2.1
This seems a bit headache-y.
Discussed by developers:
- Summary by Dan Scott: "If someone puts together a patch to update the upgrade script to support 9.0, as well as an accompanying 2.0.x-2.0.y patch, and it gets tested successfully, we would accept it for 2.0. A nice-to-have document would be a list of development targets and expected minimum prereqs (e.g. 2.1 - develop against postgresql 9.0 minimum)."
- Mike Rylander requests community testing for binary upgrade from 8.4 to 9.0 (via pg_upgrade)
Patch review queue
We don't want to let submitted patches rot, here's a list of bugs with attached patches, some of which are listed below:
Can we get committers to commit (hah) to reviewing and applying these patches (new features target 2.1 of course)?
- ACTION ITEM: Dan Scott to apply 'Missing examples for "interval" settings' patch.
- ACTION ITEM: Bill Erickson to review 'Patron Registration Customization Overhaul' and send thoughts to dev-list by Thursday March 3.
- ACTION ITEM: Dan Scott to apply and test 'Permission Profile Filtering in Patron Search Interface'
Google Summer of Code application
- We have willing mentors (phasefx, gmcharlt, dbs)
- Need to put together a solid application, with a list of potential ideas for student projects that would be helpful to Evergreen, ideally with a list of prerequisite knowledge and easy/medium/difficult ratings
- Even if our application is turned down, it provides a good refresh of the long-in-the-tooth software bounties page and offers an entry point for other potential developers
- Deadline for applying: March 11, 2011; applications opened Feb. 28th
- Dan Scott, Galen Charlton, and Jason Etheridge to meet and discuss potential projects list and application by next Tuesday, March 8.
- Tuesday, March 15th at 12:00 EST, 9:00 PST